- Size: 6″ x 3.5″ x 1.5″ (150mm x 85mm x 38mm)
- Weight: 7.7oz (220g)
- Construction: ABS
- Body Power: 9 volt PP3
- Battery (included)
- Display: Analog
- Depth of penetration: up to 1¼” (30mm)
- Wood Moisture Content: 5 to 30 %
- Reference scale: 0 to 100
The Skipper Plus operates on the principal of non-destructive impedance measurement. Coplanar electrodes are fitted on the base ofthe instrument from which low frequency signals are transmitted into the material being tested measuring the change in impedance caused by the presence of moisture. This reading is translated by the instrument into a moisture content reading.
The Skipper Plus Moisture Meter is used for:
- Early detection before blistering appears.
- Identifying the affected area.
- Monitoring hull during de-humidification and repairs.
- Checking stripped or peeled areas for dryness prior to re-coating.
To achieve a lasting finish and strength of wooden boats and boat parts it is essential to ensure that they are well maintained and do not contain excess moisture. Excess moisture can rot and decay the wood itself.
Moisture can cause peeling and blistering of applied finishes and treatments, newly applied finishes can fail prematurely if the wood it is applied to is not sufficiently dry. Hidden or trapped moisture can lead to mold and biological growth. The Skipper Plus can be moved across the surface of the boat to moisture survey in a fast and thorough manner, detecting moisture non-destructively through paint and coatings on wood up to a depth of 1.25” (30mm). The Skipper Plus can also be used to detect leaks and trace them to source both above and below decks.